Saturday, October 25, 2008

rainy, but perfect

Today it is pouring in Westminster, but I love that kind of day in the Fall. It is a nice day to stay in and cook. Sean is home for the weekend. I woke up this morning to an argument downstairs between Sean and Niki. I couldn't wait when they were kids for them to grow up and stop the fighting. Our family has always been very vocal. They both, along with their father, would have been great members of a debate club. I loved the noise this time though--the intelligent back and forth sparring. I really miss Sean being home. I know his sister does too.
I am a good cook but not a good baker. I did give it my best shot though. A pumpkin cake. The rain outside and the warmth inside made for a great day. Sean's favorite meal is sour beef. That has been simmering on the stove all day. Ah, the delicious aroma of ginger, cinnamon and clove. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about having the kids home and the fun of hearing their banter. My two are the best of friends but they sure do know how to push each other's buttons. Your cake looks tasty. What is sour beef?

Ben said...

As an empty nester, I can vouch that it's always good to have the kids back, even if there's bickering. (You're right, too - the intelligence level of the bickering does improve).

gerry said...

Sour beef is a German dish. A roast is marinated with vinegar and spices overnight. It is cooked on stovetop in water. When it is finished, You mix in ginger snaps and sugar creating a wonderful gravy and a very tender piece of meat. A lot of people make dumplings, but my family prefers potatoes, stewed tomatoes, and peas for side dishes. The aroma is mouth watering. My son said it felt like the holidays today.
Ben, we always encouraged our children to form their own opinions and I am proud of the adults they have become. They both enjoy an intense desire for knowledge. The are both politically sharp. I don't always agree with them, but they always have strong arguments. There never is a dull moment at my house when they are all around.

Unknown said...

That decription just made my mouth water. The ginger snap gravy sounds amazing!

Jen said...

The dinner sounds great, I will leave room for that dessert-who cares what it looks like :)