Friday, May 9, 2008

IT'S ANOTHER WEIRD FRIDAY

I was searching through family treasures trying to find an object I had seen many years ago to post for today's weird object. I found this true treasure instead.
This is a Bible I thought was just my husband's grandfathers's. We have a trunk full of letters that Pop-Pop wrote in WWI. There are postcards and letters full of history. But if you look closely, this Bible was given to a C. J. Jennings on his way to fight in the Civil War. It was given to him in 1861. You can track his promotions from the entries on the front cover. The last noted from him is 1865. It mentions "invalided".
There are disintegrating flowers or grasses (not ones being pressed) that appear to mark special passages. I don't know which owner marked the passages.

Charles Godwin Irish was Pop-Pop, my husband's grandfather. He evidently was given this Bible on May 24, 1917. From the letters in the trunk that I have read, he kept this with him during his stint in World War I. My daughter discovered through a genealogy search that Mr. Jennings was probably Pop-Pop's maternal grandfather. His mother was Altona Jennings born in 1867 so we know her father, the original owner of the Bible, survived. Can't you just imagine all this Bible has been through?



This poem was found tucked in the Bible, is it familiar to anyone?

You flew your flag for the men who drown; You fought the undertow beneath;You sought the service- not the crown; You won, but did not wear, the wreath;And when that last wave beat you down You gripped your colors in your teeth.



This was referenced: Anyone know its significance? I don't so if it makes sense with what we have found let me know. Thanks, Gerry


Rebekah's brother's name was Laban and the name of Abigail's husband was Nabal, which is simply Laban reversed. The 19th chapter of II. Kings and the 37th chapter of Isaiah are alike with the exception that verse 15 of the former compromises verses 15 and 16 of the latter. http://www.newadvent.org/bible/2ki019.htm .... Kingshttp://www.newadvent.org/bible/isa030.htm..... Isaiah

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, you truely own a significant piece of history.

gerry said...

My daughter and I were delighted with the find. I am a history buff. There are so many letters telling of his days in Europe. He was an ambulance corpman. Following the war, he returned to France to try to find the burial place of his brother who died in the war. Doesn't seem like we ,as a human race ,ever learn. Every generation faces wartime. Pray for peace.

Katie said...

AMAZING Gerry! You have inspired me to trace my ancestors.

Minerva said...

Very cool. Hold on to that for future generations. Write down as much as you know about the people and the bible. I know this is important, because I hear our history from my dad, and it does get lost along the way.

Ben said...

Geneology is interesting, but it's much more real to me when there is something tangible like that Bible - it helps make the people much more real to me. That's a keeper for sure. You should print out the info in your post and put a copy of the explanation in the Bible for posterity.

gerry said...

Thanks, Ben, that is a great idea!

Diana said...

Hi Ger, I love the Bible. What a treasure!!