Sunday, June 8, 2008

IT'S A HOT ONE OUT THERE!

But it is worth it. Weeded and watered this morning. I am going out for tomato cages and I will be all set garden wise. We have been working this soil since we moved in 16 years ago. The builder sold off the top soil and all we had was clay and rock. We compost and the soil is so heavenly. It doesn't look like it here. But go down just below the surface and it is a beautiful brown, full of worms and it drains wonderfully. THE TOMATOES ARE LOVING THE 100 DEGREE WEATHER.
AS ARE THE SQUASHES. WE HAVE ZUCCHINI, WATERMELON AND YELLOW SQUASH.
THE BEANS HAD A HARD TIME SURVIVING THE RABBITS.
DID I MENTION I LOVE TOMATOES!
AND HOPEFULLY IT WON'T BE TOO LONG BEFORE WE HAVE CUCUMBERS FOR OUR SALAD.





The temperature hasn't bothered the plants, except for one straw flower(and that was my fault, I forgot to water it). The veggies are coming along. They had a slight pause in growth until my husband found the little opening in the garden fencing. Rabbits were having a great time! Come August, I am expecting to be knee deep in tomatoes. I can't wait!

4 comments:

Minerva said...

Mmmm...Gerry's home made marinated tomatoes...I'll see you in August!!!

gerry said...

Can't wait. Tomato and basil will be ready. And after our trip to Hacienda Shiloh we will have the best garlic. I never knew there were so many types of garlic. You will be amazed.

Unknown said...

Would you post an entry about composting? I have wanted to try but am not sure how. Is there an easy way to start?

Ben said...

I'm glad at least the plants like those hot and hazy Baltimore summers!